ShareThis

Stormy sunset


This spectacular image of a lightning strike at sunset was submitted by LiveScience reader Mike Kvackay. The photo was taken in Bozeman, Montana, while Kvackay was shooting a series of time-lapse images on a small pond.


"I heard some thunder in the distance and was about to stop shooting when I saw that lightning bolt," Kvackay told LiveScience. "I didn't think much of it, but wanted to get my slider and two tripods back in my car before it started to storm. I checked my camera in the car and found that I caught that shot."

Kvackay caught a lucky break, he said, as he had stopped the time-lapse only a few seconds after the lightning bolt struck.

Kvackay used a Canon 7D to capture the phenomenal shot, with a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lens with a 2-second shutter speed, and a slide-tracked 6-foot motorized dolly. [Related: Electric Earth – Stunning Images of Lightning]